Sunday, May 18, 2014

Chocolate Cake - Take 2

I'm on the hunt for a low-carb chocolate cake that doesn't taste like 'chemical warfare'
This is how I described low-carb chocolate cake on the Facebook yesterday
My tastebuds are so angry at me for subjecting them to the cake I made on Thursday and so yesterday I got The Man to dig out all of my hippy foods to see if I could figure out how to make an edible chocolate cake to appease them.
Who has heard of chocolate mug cake? I found a low-carb version...

3 Minute Chocolate Cake (serves 2)
(Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes)
Source
  • 1/4 cup almond flour, 1 ounce (I used almond meal) (also, I suppose the 1 ounce is an alternative measure for the 1/4 cup).
  • 1 tbsp cocoa
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 3 tbsp + 1 tsp granulated stevia
  • 2 tbsp butter, melted
  • 1 tbsp water
  • 1 egg
  1. Place all ingredients into a 500ml microwave safe jug. (if you want, sift the almond flour to get a lighter cake texture - I didn't do this). Make sure you mix thoroughly or else you'll get lumps of cocoa in the cake.
  2. Cover the jug with cling wrap and poke a hole through the plastic to act as a vent.
  3. Cook on HIGH in the microwave for 80 seconds (or 1 minute and 20 seconds)
  4. Leave to cool - it will be very hot.
Was this meal cheap? I can't remember how much almond meal costs as it was already in my cupboard...
*checks the Woolworths website*
It seems that the amount of almond meal that I used in this recipe costs approximately $1, which seems quite reasonable.
Was this meal quick to prepare? Three minutes! The longest bit of preparation was melting the butter.
Was this meal tasty? Obviously sugar-free is not for me. I didn't like it. It also could have used some vanilla because it tasted too dark to me. Maybe I was not built for sugar-free food?
Would my family eat this? Honey liked it, and after giving it a good stir, told me that she had made it herself. I left her to it. Luckily because it only serves two, I didn't feel guilty about dumping it on the plate with my last cake effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment