Monday, December 28, 2015

My Mummy Musical Rut

So since I was younger, I always thought I had pretty good taste in music. I liked all music, except I wasn't keen on trance and electronic music (and hey, that's OK).

Sometimes I'd go to Chapel Street in Prahran,
Melbourne in my sky blue 1982-ish Toyota Corona (same name as a beer, so it was a super-cool awesome car) pumping out Cold Chisel through the speakers because Khe Sanh is AWESOME*. This was funny because most other cars would play the trance and electronic music that I didn't like. My friends and I would rarely stay IN Chapel Street. We'd go and eat some McDonalds, and go home to the outer-eastern suburbs.
But I digress.
This is what I imagine trance music might look like.
This image came from here
I used to know all the songs, and all the bands. I was a late starter when it came to seeing live music, and my first show was when I was 19-ish and I saw The Offspring at Rod Laver Arena. It was seriously the most amazing thing I'd ever experienced up to that point in my life. Admittedly, I had had a pretty quiet life up until that point.
But that was about 15 years ago, and now I am a mother.
A month or so ago, I was watching the Arias with The Man, and I was making fun of him for secretly loving The Veronicas, and then I realised that other than The Veronicas and Tina Arena and Jessica Mauboy, I had NO IDEA who anyone was, and I had never heard of their music.
Here is a rundown of the artists who won awards at the Arias:

Tame Impala: I am imagining a hipster-type band? Lots of long hair and beards?

Courtney Barnett: Courtney can be either a male or female name... Girl?

Vance Joy: YES! The ukulele guy. Buddy got a ukulele for Christmas, and I told people he was the next Vance Joy. I also 'complained' on the Facebook that he won Triple J's Hottest 100, when I was still deluded that I had any musical credibility, and he as 'so mainstream'. Yeah, ooops.

Tina Arena: YES! I remarked to The Man that she had to wear a curtain to the Sydney Olympics Opening Ceremony. He remarked back 'Why do you know that?'

Oh Mercy: Makes me think of No Mercy (see their video clip here).

5 Seconds of Summer (5SOS): Oh, I know these guys. I have a mummy crush on Ashton. I am 14 years older than him. It's a bit gross. And see how cool I am by using their nickname.

C.W. Stoneking: No...

Sam Moran: The Yellow Wiggle! (again, I am displaying how mummy-fied I have become)

Matt Okine: Something, something, Triple J?

Shane Nicholson: married, or used to be married to Kasey Chambers.

Jarryd James: No.

Rufus: Has accents over the 'u's in his name which I can't type. Regardless, have no idea who he is.

Northlane: Sounds like a Melbourne shopping centre.

One Direction: I have NO IDEA WHO THESE PEOPLE ARE**. Except my niece and half of my primary-aged students like them. Why? All I know is that one of them is called Harry and his hair is longer than mine.
Seth Sentry: Nice use of alliteration. No idea who he is. Is Seth Sentry his real name? I would not know.
Update: I Googled, and his name is NOT Seth Sentry.
The Veronicas: Yes. One of the few artists that I know of.
Conrad Sewell: Got Song of the Year. Yay! Don't know who he is.

Lee Kernaghan: Um, I know Lee Kernaghan from attending the Deni Ute Muster prior to having children. My little brother LOVES him. *waves at little brother*
Ed Sheeran: Pfft. Who doesn't know Ed Sheeran? I liked his video where Ron Weasley plays him. It took me a while to realise that he doesn't really look that much like Ron Weasley beyond both having red hair.

So I have no idea about music. The Man has signed me up for a Spotify account, where I can make my own playlist. So far there are twelve songs. It's pathetic.
What songs do you think I should add to my playlist? Are there any songs that you really like that you can recommend? Help me get out of my rut.


PS: And in another example of how little music factors in my current lifestyle, I never had a 'music' label for this blog, 250+ posts after starting it. Pathetic.
*Still is awesome, but perhaps I'd not display its awesomeness down Chapel Street.
** That's a lie. I know who One Direction are *sigh*. It's par for the course in my day-job.

No comments:

Post a Comment