So here is the recipe:
Low-Fat Low-Carb Chocolate Cake
- 1 3/4 cups plain flour
- 1 cup Splenda (I used stevia instead)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup skim milk
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees
- Mix cocoa into hot water until there are no lumps left
- Combine wet ingredients and mix until blended
- Add cocoa mixture and mix until well blended
- Sift together dry ingredients
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until well blended
- Pour mixture into a 9x13 inch cake tin
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
Was this meal cheap? Pretty much. The eggs were the most expensive part. All the ingredients were already in the cupboard.
Was this meal quick to prepare? Yes, but it took a long time to bake. The original recipe said baking would take 25 minutes to bake. It was closer to 40.
Was this meal tasty? Not really. It wasn't very chocolate-y at all and the taste of the baking powder and soda overtook everything else. Also the stevia just made it taste weird.
Would my family eat this? The little people, especially Honey loved it. The Man wasn't too impressed. I thought it was awful.